Thursday, April 5, 2012

Face to Face with the King


Some define my passion “disgusting”, some “dangerous”, diplomatics “interesting”, my unusual passion is about reptiles, particuarly snakes.  Jenesia a close friend and collegue shewed me away with a "Shhhh" when I invited her for my 'Search for the King'.  Amit said, 'You are mad'.  Savatri said, 'Nah! You go.' I henceforth stopped inviting friend to my King courtyard, however out of the excitement in my heart while chatting with Susanna, I narrated my search for the King. She remarked, 'Interesting!'.

My journey in my 'Search for the King' bagan in January 2012 at the foot hills of the Himalayas. Bad luck. The King did not show up. I embarked on my second expidition in March to meet the King in Assam, Nagaland as well as Meghalaya.  The King stayed enthroned, but I never got anywhere close to his palace. His courtyard were too large.  Hahahaha!

Mid March 2012, I later looked for the King during my Sahyadri Trek. I went trekking to Kalsubai and Bhandardara. I was walking far ahead of Devendra, Joel and Stacey when I saw a snake trail.  I followed the trail. Nah! Nothing.  Devendra would remember the remark, 'You were far ahead of us and how come you are walking behind us.'  Tired and exhausted, I comforted myself with the sweet words, 'The King's on Exile!'.  Hahahaha! 

I planned my next trip to Rajmachi on the 20th April, hoping my King will make his appearance.  I had two consecutive work off on 5th & 6th April.  I looked out for company to do a trip. Everyone was busy with Easter.  I took off to Lohgad.  I went by road to Malawali (driving in the legendary Ambassador Mark IV, a car I am sitting in today after 33 years) and began my 3 km walk to the base of the fort.  My mother a history school teacher had taught me a lesson on this fort.

Memories came alive of my mother teaching me.  Just then, a deep growl emanated from the bushes. I looked up and towering above me was a king cobra, its golden hood afire in the evening light, its eyes pinned on me. I let go of its tail, but instead of attacking me, the cobra streaked off through the undergrowth.

I raced after the fleeing serpent, and grabbed its tail a second time. The cobra swung around and charged at me open-mouthed. Using a stick to keep the snake at bay, I managed to pull my sleeping bag out of my rucksack and prop it open. The cobra saw the dark hole as an escape route and slid inside. This was my very first encounter with a wild king cobra and I can still feel that adrenalin rush.  Later, I let My Beloved King back into the wild, far away from the Malawali village after he had calmed down.

I met 'The Majestic King Cobra' face to face.





































No comments: